Monday, June 7, 2010

Livingstone/Victoria Falls - Zambia/Zimbabwe


So I'm not exactly sure where I left off, but I'm pretty sure that we had already arrived in Livingstone where we found a very nice hostel/hotel/camping ground. We stayed there for two days and had a blast!! Saul and I both bungee jumped the bridge that is on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe and very close to Victoria Falls. The jump was 111 meters and was sooo much fun, but even more fun than that was what they call the swing. The swing is 130 meters and is even more scary than bungee jumping as you are supposed to jump straight down, legs first. This is what makes it more scary as with bungee jumping, your equilibrium is already off and therefore you don't notice the drop as much. That was pretty much the highlight of our trip to Vic Falls as the rest of the time we just walked around and explored the city a bit. We're hoping to go bungee jumping again in Cape Town as it is apparently the tallest drop in the world (Vic Falls is the 3rd highest drop)!!! Can't wait for that adventure!


Well being 9am, our timing was a little off when we were trying to get to Zimbabwe as there were no buses leaving until 2am. Therefore......Saul said it was common practice in Zim, to hitch rides, so.....that's what we did. You flag down cars that are headed in the direction you are going and if they have space and are also going to the same place, they'll take you there for a fee. It's actually very common as I saw. So we went to the "hitching post" in Victoria Falls and got in with 2 other passangers. We were actually very lucky and our driver happened to be a cop, which I happen to believe helps when you are stopped by one of the many police checkpoints along the way. Anyway, so we got a ride to Bulawayo (4 hours away from Vic Falls) and immediately was able to get a combi (14 passenger van) to Harare where Saul's family lives.


We got to Saul's mom's house quite late, around midnight, but everyone was waiting up for us. He has two sister's and a brother along with his mom and a niece and they are all very sweet and welcoming! We've been here for about 5 days now and have had excellent company, food, and rest!!! I believe we are leaving tomorrow and I am a little sad as I feel that the time has been very short. I watched my first cricket match today (Zimbabwe vs. Sri Lanka) and although it was an experience, the games can go on FOREVER..... Well more adventures later.....hopefully I'll be able to upload my bungee jumping video! ;) Okay I just tried the DVD and it didn't work, so I'll just put a few pictures instead and convert the DVD when I get home.


Love,

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Nicole! It is so fun to see what you are up to. I freaking miss you and hope you are having an awesome time. -Megan xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Pics they are soo cool. Hope you are having a blast!! Be safe and do what you can while you can. Wish I could send you stuff to give away. Miss you a whole bunch

    love Eric

    ReplyDelete